Sunday 15 January 2017

My Favourite Things by Shelley Wilson, Author/Blogger


One of my favourite musicals of all time is The Sound of Music, I’ve watched it so many times I know it word for word. I’ve also attended several Sing-a-long-a-Sound-of-Music events dressed as a nun! So, when I received my email from Annette about her ‘My Favourite Things’ feature, I couldn’t help but sing a certain tune to get me in the mood!

‘Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens…’ Come on; you know the rest.

Musicals are a firm favourite in my house. My daughter loves My Fair Lady, and although my three children are now teenagers, we did all enjoy Disney’s Frozen! (It counts as a musical doesn’t it?)

When I’m not glued to a sing-a-long, I will no doubt have my nose in a book, either as a book reviewer, or an avid reader. I’m a huge fan of YA fantasy fiction, which is probably a good idea as I also write for this genre! My favourite author is Sarah J Maas who I got to meet last year when she was on her UK tour.

I couldn’t possibly choose a single favourite book from the gazillions of YA titles I have on my bookshelves, but I can narrow it down to my top five:

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare (YA)
Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas (YA)
Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard (YA)
Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine (YA)
Forsaken by Jana Oliver (YA)

YA fantasy fiction tends to have a kick-ass heroine, and my favourite feisty female character would have to be Celaena Sardothian from Sarah J Maas’ Throne of Glass series. She’s an assassin who is released from prison to do the bidding of an evil king – I’m sure you can imagine the trouble she creates!

Whether I’m watching TV, or reading a book, my favourite pet is never far away. Luna is a short hair black cat with honey coloured eyes and a mischievous nature – she fits in well with my family! She can cause me no end of problems when I’m trying to write though, and I’m pretty sure she once sent Ian Somerhalder a tweet!

I have a favourite place to write in my house, which is a converted garage that is now an office. It’s cold in winter, boiling in summer, but it’s all mine (No Kids Allowed). I call it my writing cave and have adorned the walls with film posters from The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter. My pride and joy is the poster from my favourite film, The Lost Boys – I have a slight obsession with vampires, I guess you could call them another favourite thing!

There are so many vampire films and TV shows around, and my favourite actor, Johnny Depp, played a creature of the night in Tim Burton’s rather unconventional film, Dark Shadows, released in 2012.

It’s compulsory in our house to fill the coffee table with favourite snacks when we have our family film nights. Sweet and salty popcorn is always a winner, but marshmallows and dipping chocolate takes some beating. It’s the perfect comfort food for the winter months when the rain and sleet are hammering at the window. My favourite season, however, is autumn. The colours are beautiful, and I find it entrancing that a season can be so stunning and yet everything is dying. Autumn also has another huge attraction – Halloween! I’m worse than the kids at this time of year. The house is covered in cobwebs (not decorations, I just never clean!), pumpkins, and skeletons. It’s become a favourite tradition to dress the house in full Halloween attire. My children love to get involved in this which I find hugely satisfying. The older they get, the less time they want to spend with their old mum, so I’ll grab anything they give me – they are, after all, my favourite thing in the whole world.



Thank you SO much to Annette for creating this fun feature. There is something positive and uplifting about sharing your favourite things with the world.

If you would like to find out more about my wacky world, then you can find me on my blog at http://www.shelleywilsonauthor.com, where I post writing-related articles, book reviews, interviews, and random thoughts of a multi-genre author.

All my YA fiction and adult non-fiction books are on my Amazon author page http://amazon.co.uk/Shelley-Wilson/e/B00G5KPMJI.

I also have a social media addiction so you’ll find me lurking on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/ShelleyWilson72 and Facebook http://www.facebook.com/FantasyAuthorSLWilson A LOT!



Shelley Wilson
Author of YA Fantasy & Adult Self-Help

www.shelleywilsonauthor.co.uk

Writing Blog: http://shelleywilsonauthor.com
Motivational Blog: http://myresolutionchallenge.blogspot.com

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/ShelleyWilson72

Facebook YA: http://www.facebook.com/FantasyAuthorSLWilson
Facebook Non-Fiction: http://www.facebook.com/resolutionchallenge

WINNER of Most Inspirational Blog Award 2016

Thanks for joining us on My Favourite Things Shelley

Sincerely
Book Angel x

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for allowing me to invade your lovely blog, Annette. I had great fun sharing all my favourite things x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome Shelley I love reading these posts as they are always so positive X X

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete